….OR TO BE WITH YOUR BEST LIBATION OR THE MOST OBSCENE OF THE BUTTERFLIES
In this list, the most visionary and psycotropical musics, are represented; created by Peruvians who used the better part of themselves: their mind, their being, their soul, to give to our country the following gems which worth, in my opinion, as much as the gold taken by Spaniards- and that they seem to take away again , hello?. Nevertheless, almost everyone in the scene is not known by the great public, maybe focalized on puppets and the way the poorness of the mass media entertains them, a bunch of bands who don’t contribute anything.
However, as Novalis use to say, one of the 90´s avant-garde scene model around these latitude, Crisálida Sonica: EVERYTHING SEEMS TO DESCEND BECAUSE WE DON’T RISE.
1. EVAMUSS: Xul (1998) This beautiful Evamuss piece, done by a young Christian Galarreta is at the same time the more sacred, saint and contemporary, that has been ever composed in our lands. Disagree? Listen to this gem and tell me if you don’t feel millenarian vibrations in your soul.
2. SILVANIA: Niño Unicornio (1994) Pure peak and sonic ecstasies by the hand of Mario and Coco, Silvania. One piece of its amazing “Paisaje III “ (Elefant 1994)- it should be reedited- done for a captivating listening. Beautiful coloristic video courtesy of Mario.
3. WILDER GONZALES AGREDA: Los Olivos 3 a.m. An astral and hypnotic piece of my authorship . All treat which doesn’t elevate, falls down.
4. LECHE PLUS: Two Blue Horses 666 . Simple awesome. One of the better songs of Leche Plus. Really we, the Peruvians are privileged people by having bands of this type and height, within us. We expect with enthusiasm more from Leche Plus, Jonathan!
5. XTREDAN: Norte (2012) Home town in la Oroya, the advanced electronic project Xtredan gave us one of the best Peruvian music production of the last decade, the Martian and great “Fly ep”. The sounds in which, even today, Dante Izaguirre oscilates stay the same as cosmic, something that surely do make us feel thrill. Continue flying!!!
6. DREAMWORKS: Lost track (2012) One of the last projects which have better embody the alchemy of the guitar noise and melodies in our country is Dreamworks, they’ve just got this track to show but it is so majestic and sublime that it leaves you with honey in your mind and the heart risen to everyone who listens this. In its sound I can listen genial influences such as Astrobite, Orange Cake Mix, Durrutti Column. Let´s go Dreamworks for more heaven and more flourish!!
7. SALOMON JEDIDIAS: Rebel On You/Keep Up – Mantente Firme . (2009)… From now on a classic in Peruvian neo-psychedelics. “Rebel on you” is the track which initiate the opera prima from the genial Rafael Diaz- factotum of Salomón Jedidias- where Suicide´s Alan Vega and Liam Maher from Flowered up unite to give birth to a superb creation where madness and sound will intend to chase you and make disappear your boring job routine and pseudo western embourgeoisement through ecstasies and (non) sense of a beautiful music as few as they are in this country. Long life to Salomon Jedidias & Space rock!
8. ESPIRA: Cielo de Azul Y Ensueño (1996) Divine gem of the preciosity period of Espira, formed by Miguel Angel “chino “ Burga (today in “La Ira de Dios”) and Aldo Castillejos (today in Serpentina Satélite) and Renzo Lari who will later form “Las Vacas de Wisconsin”, those the Cure brand guitars, those sound signed by a Flock of Seagulls, those shoegazer voices very representative of the age, showing us that we are in the presence of a formation called to make history in this country plenty of garbage rock stars. Great Espira!
9. GIRÁLEA: Prisión (1999). Ah Giralea….. Carlos Mariño lead Giralea when he was under 18 and with his Crisalida Sonica´s colleagues drafted some of the most beautiful and ethereal songs of the age in South America. However, in 1998 Giralea was a Carlo´s individual project and that’s how the demo tape was done, from where we get this genial piece which is a reliable reflex where almost everyone in Crisalida Sónica feeled in that time. Taking too much Loop, too much Forever Alien, too much Suicide, very much Fixing to die…. In one word :REVOLUTION!!!!!!!
10: HIPNOASCENSIÓN: Piedra Flotante (2005) This list ends with one of the biggest compositions of Peruvian music history, the author prefers to keep anonymous because he repulses society and its comedy and its farce but his music speaks for him and this is really a music worthy of millenarian gods. Words are only words, so listen and be more real than real. Thanks Chuko Peñaloza. Hahahha!!!
CHRISTIAN GALARRETA (2nd track of "Instalaciones") (2002)
LECHE PLUS - Viajero Espacial (2009)
NORVASC - Pet Dream (2012)
SILVANIA - Trilce (1993)
HIPNOASCENSIÓN - Cristaliza Tu Mente (2008)
ULTRAVELVET - Unicornios de Caral (2009)
GABRIEL CASTILLO - Maldorado (2008)
We hope that this selection of meta musical pieces made by Peruvians encourage you to enquire or better yet, just letting yourself start and create your own experiments. This will be really the best. Meanwhile we leave you some links for your enlightment.